Date: 1/6/20 7:50 pm
From: Barbara Volkle <barb620...>
Subject: [MASSBIRD] Access Matters
Thanks to Steve Grinley for this post.

Barbara Volkle
Northborough, MA
<barb620...>

*

Date: Mon, 6 Jan 2020 22:37:49 -0500 (EST)
From: "Bird Watcher's Supply & Gift" <birdwsg...>
Subject: Access Matters

Margo and I have been to see the orange-crowned warbler on Doane Street
in Gloucester that was reported on eBird.
The first time, we did not see the bird in this neighborhood, staying
only about 10 or 15 minutes. But more recently we did see the bird visit
the feeder a couple of times in during our fifteen minute stay. Each
time, we did as the homeowner instructed on eBird, that we park on Shore
Hill Rd, near the corner of Wheeler, in front of a small park called
Smith Thompson Park, where there is room for about three cars. They
requested that we should refrain from driving down Doane St, as it is a
narrow road with no available parking.

I have since learned that the homeowner "was furious" this past weekend,
when a blue car with several occupants drove down the narrow road trying
to observe the bird from the car. Without getting into the discussion of
public roads, etc., this is a crowded neighborhood with narrow roads and
no parking in many areas, as described by the homeowner. The walk from
the designated parking is less than 2 minutes.
It was kind (and increasingly rare) for the homeowner to share such a
bird. It is inexcusable for recipients of this shared report to ignore
the homeowner's request, which is necessary to keep neighbors calm and
the bird accessible to others. A few can spoil it for the rest of us.

Access matters so that birders, and others, will continue to be able to
see uncommon birds in sensitive areas. Please heed the requests of
controlled access in this, and any future requests, that help ensure the
opportunity of seeing less common, and even more rare birds, going forward.

Steve Grinley
Bird Watcher's Supply & Gift
194 Route 1, Newburyport, MA 01950
<Birdwsg...>