Date: 1/6/20 8:08 am
From: Brian Rusnica <velocicrafter...>
Subject: [MASSBIRD] Monday Jan 13 in Amherst - Hampshire Bird Club program: "Fall Hawkwatching on Mount Watatic"
Greetings!

I’m leading a Hampshire Bird Club program a week from today, Monday January
13th, in Amherst, MA at the Immanuel Lutheran Church at 7:15pm. The topic
will be "Fall Hawkwatching from Mount Watatic", and a brief abstract
follows below. Open to the public.

For more details and my speaker bio, please check the HBC site at
https://hampshirebirdclub.org/events/brian-rusnica-mount-watatic-hawk-watching/

###

Raptor Migration provides birders with the opportunity to experience one of
nature’s most mysterious and thrilling spectacles. Massachusetts offers
several sites to observe diurnal raptor migration during Fall, including
the oft-overlooked Mount Watatic. This 1,800 foot peak on the
Massachusetts/New Hampshire border rewards visitors with stunning landscape
views and rustic charm. Each September, it can also provide a unique
vantage point to watch thousands of Broad-winged Hawks on their long
migrant journey. This talk will introduce Mount Watatic, the dozen species
of regular migrant raptors seen there, and a handful of irregular ones too.
We’ll talk about what makes Watatic so underrated, and also answer all your
questions about Hawkwatching – how we count all these birds, where they’re
going, and how we make sure we don’t count the same bird twice.

###

Regards,

Brian Rusnica

Cambridge MA