Date: 1/5/20 7:55 pm
From: Linda Ferraresso <tattler1...>
Subject: [MASSBIRD] BBC Trip 1/5 : Newburyport and Vicinity
7 birders joined me in braving the winds today, as we stopped at Cashman
Park, Salisbury Reservation, and Parker River National Wildlife refuge.
Highlights were the female Eastern Towhee at Salisbury, and some nice
ducks at the pannes on PRNWR including Gadwall, Pintail, Green-winged
Teal and a surprise female Shoveler pointed out by a birder who's name
I've forgotten (a big thanks but sorry for forgetting your name) whose
granddaughter first spotted the bird!

Cashman Park, Newburyport, Essex, Massachusetts, US

Jan 5, 2020 9:30 AM - 9:45 AM
Protocol: Stationary
Checklist Comments: BBC trip 33-34 degrees, winds NW 20 mph gusting to 31 mph.
4 species

White-winged Scoter 2
Long-tailed Duck 1
Ring-billed Gull 20
Herring Gull 3

Salisbury Beach State Reservation, Essex, Massachusetts, US

Jan 5, 2020 9:46 AM - 11:11 AM
Protocol: Traveling
2.648 mile(s)
Checklist Comments: BBC trip 33-34 degrees, sunny, winds NW 20 mph gusting to 31 mph
26 species (+1 other taxa)

Canada Goose 25
Common Eider 120
Surf Scoter 25
White-winged Scoter 25
Long-tailed Duck 3
Red-breasted Merganser 3
Horned Grebe 1
Mourning Dove 16
Ring-billed Gull 43
Herring Gull 60
Great Black-backed Gull 4
gull sp. 10
Common Loon 2
Great Cormorant 1
Downy Woodpecker 1
American Crow 5
Black-capped Chickadee 1
Tufted Titmouse 2 at feeder approaching the Reservation
European Starling 3
Northern Mockingbird 2
House Sparrow 3
American Goldfinch 10
Dark-eyed Junco 20
White-throated Sparrow 3
Song Sparrow 1
Eastern Towhee 1 Beautiful chocolate brown, black, red and white bird claw rly seen in mixed flock with other sparrows.
Northern Cardinal 2

Parker River NWR, Essex, Massachusetts, US

Jan 5, 2020 12:07 PM - 2:46 PM
Protocol: Traveling
6.0 mile(s)
Checklist Comments: BBC trip. Cold (33-34 degrees), bright and very
windy(20 mph gusting to 31 mph). Drove to PL7 and back with various stops.
27 species (+1 other taxa)

Canada Goose 675 conservative count
Northern Shoveler 1 Female
Gadwall 12
Mallard 4
American Black Duck 330 Conservative count
Northern Pintail 8
Green-winged Teal 4 Two pair
Common Eider 20
Surf Scoter 2
White-winged Scoter 37
Black Scoter 3
Long-tailed Duck 3
Bufflehead 6
Red-breasted Merganser 1
Horned Grebe 1
Mourning Dove 14
Ring-billed Gull 10
Herring Gull 10
Great Black-backed Gull 1
gull sp. 30
Red-throated Loon 2
Common Loon 2
Northern Harrier 2
Cooper's Hawk 1
Red-tailed Hawk 1
Rough-legged Hawk 1
American Crow 2
Song Sparrow 5

--
Linda Ferraresso
Salem, MA

"Faith is the bird that feels the light and sings when the dawn is still dark" - Tagore

Join us on Facebook!