Date: 1/5/20 1:55 pm
From: Richard Gregg <greggra...>
Subject: Birds of Note: Bald Eagle, Peregrines
Birds of Note: Today at the Marmet Locks, Belle, WV.
Bald Eagle 1-ad.
Peregrine Falcon 2. On the Cell Tower just north of the Locks property.
Buteo, at least 1 but there were several individual sightings. Assumed duplicate birds.
American Kestrel 1M. I assume it was trying to catch something on the cut grass just north of the picnic tables. It would run along the ground for 10 or so feet before taking flight again. It did this several times. When it landed on the fence near the Chimney Swift tower, it pumped its head up and down.
See attached checklist for photo of Kestrel.

Rick Gregg
Kanawha Co.

> Begin forwarded message:
>
> From: <ebird-checklist...>
> Subject: eBird Report - Marmet Lock and Dam, Jan 5, 2020
> Date: January 5, 2020 at 4:46:55 PM EST
> To: <greggra...>
>
> Marmet Lock and Dam, Kanawha, West Virginia, US
> Jan 5, 2020 10:38 AM - 1:08 PM
> Protocol: Traveling
> 0.52 mile(s)
> Checklist Comments: Overcast. Breezes. Around 30F (+/-). Kanawha River is up about (+) 1-foot in the Winfield Pool and has normal color. Distance is unique for any out and back portions. Observation was from the Belle side of the river.
> 14 species (+2 other taxa)
>
> Canada Goose (Branta canadensis) 16
> Mallard (Anas platyrhynchos) 11
> duck sp. (Anatinae sp.) 3 Continuing sighting of three green-headed, white-throated brown ducks. Possibly Swedish Duck/Mallard hybrid.
> Great Blue Heron (Ardea herodias) 1
> Bald Eagle (Haliaeetus leucocephalus) 1
> Buteo sp. (Buteo sp.) 1
> Downy Woodpecker (Dryobates pubescens) 1
> Northern Flicker (Colaptes auratus) 1
> American Kestrel (Falco sparverius) 1
> Peregrine Falcon (Falco peregrinus) 2
> American Crow (Corvus brachyrhynchos) 4
> Carolina Wren (Thryothorus ludovicianus) 1
> Northern Mockingbird (Mimus polyglottos) 1
> American Robin (Turdus migratorius) 29
> White-throated Sparrow (Zonotrichia albicollis) 3
> Song Sparrow (Melospiza melodia) 3
>
> View this checklist online at https://ebird.org/checklist/S63062969
>
> This report was generated automatically by eBird v3 (https://ebird.org/home)

Join us on Facebook!