Date: 1/5/20 10:42 am
From: John Hurley <jhurley13...>
Subject: [southbaybirds] National Birds: Winner and Runner Up
All,

I got a late but good start on my birding for 2020. I went up to Portola Valley to check on the horses, and fortunately brought my camera. Right after I went through the gate, I saw a flock of WILD TURKEYS (runner up) making their way across the field. I managed to get a few shots before they wandered into the woods.

The feeder had some of the usual suspects: DARK-EYED JUNCO, CHESTNUT-BACKED CHICKADEE, LESSER GOLDFINCH, and CALIFORNIA TOWHEE. The oaks held a few YELLOW-RUMPED WARBLER, and a surprise TOWNSEND'S WARBLER.

To cap off the day, my eye caught something large flying by and saw from the photo that it was a BALD EAGLE (winner!) on its way back from hunting at Felt Lake. List and photos here: https://ebird.org/checklist/S63024954.

Not a bad way to start off the year.

Happy Birding,

John

View/Reply Online (#20945): https://groups.io/g/southbaybirds/message/20945