Date: 1/3/20 7:10 pm
From: Justin Bosler <justin.bosler...>
Subject: [texbirds] Burrowing Owl, Austin (Travis Co.)
Texbirds,

This past week, Cathy Schneider, alerted Travis Audubon to a Burrowing Owl
that has set up a winter territory in the new Mueller housing development
project off of Manor Road. The exact location is in the open space north of
the Southeast Greenway ponds, east of Tilley Street and south of Zach Scott
Street. It has taken up residence in the extracted rocks that have been
piled up on the west side of the dirt "dome." We're hoping there are no
immediate plans for a contractor to haul off these rocks. They've been
there for weeks (or months?). In the meantime, it would be nice to set up
some kind of barrier with a 25-50 meter buffer from the rock pile to
minimize disturbance from construction workers, dog walkers, playful kids,
etc.

In sharing this unusual and sensitive observation, I expect everyone to
respect the owl's space, give it plenty of distance and avoid disturbing it
during the day as it rests (alarming or spooking it -- erect posture and
any sort of barking vocalization means you're too close!). Like most owls,
Burrowing Owls hunt predominantly at night.

Many thanks to Cathy and her husband, both of whom joined Travis Audubon
this week! Perhaps this Burrowing Owl will be their most memorable spark
bird.

Good birding!
Justin Bosler
Austin, Texas