Date: 1/3/20 3:27 pm
From: Barry E. Blust <barryblust...>
Subject: Re: [JERSEYBI] Owl eBird reports
I'm not an ebird expert but I've used it a lot and read a lot about it, including its handling of sensitive species. There's a lot of info in ebird here: https://support.ebird.org/en/support/solutions/articles/48000803210-sensitive-species-in-ebird . So below is a quick answer to your question. I invite anyone who knows more details to please provide them.

Long-eared Owl does not appear to be a sensitive species in ebird and using Explore in ebird will show recent reports. Sensitive species would not show this way. Below is an excerpt from that page. In the case of the Long-eared Owl it's up to the individual birder to exercise judgement in reporting the bird to minimize possible disturbance by others. I hope this helps.

====================================

Sensitive Species listings only apply to clear cases where public information about a species may place that species at risk. There are other cases where specific observations or individuals may be best to not report publicly on eBird either due to restricted site access concerns or because the bird may be harmed in some way, even if the species isn't sensitive as a whole. eBirders must take it upon themselves to understand the situation locally and to use their best judgment, as the status of a species may change from place to place. For example, Long-eared Owls are particularly vulnerable to human disturbance in their day roosts across the Northeastern US, but in much of the Western US and eastern Europe this is not an issue.

Here are a few ways to help protect sensitive records when reporting to eBird:
- Wait until the season is over and the sensitive bird(s) have left before reporting the birds to eBird. You can go back and ‘edit’ your checklists later to include sensitive records after the birds have departed.
- Do not provide explicit coordinates or directions to sensitive records. For instance, you may say that birds were seen at a state park, instead of listing the exact location therein.
- Delay reporting observations for 8 days or more to keep these reports off of eBird Alerts.
- Hide observations in eBird after you have submitted a checklist by selecting that option from the “Checklist Tools” dropdown menu. This keeps the species off the output (e.g., maps, bar charts etc.) but does not hide the fact that you went birding altogether (i.e., the date and location may show up on the Recent Checklists feed, but no one will be able to see the species you saw). Once the species is safe again, we always recommend 'unhiding' your checklist because all sightings on hidden eBird checklists cannot be used for scientific analysis or by fellow birders.

Barry E. Blust
21 Rabbit Run Lane
Glenmoore, PA
Upper Uwchlan Township, Chester County
<BarryBlust...>

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the Universe."
-- John Muir