Date: 1/3/20 7:51 am
From: 'The \Nunn Guy\' via Colorado Birds <cobirds...>
Subject: [cobirds] Results of First-ever Pawnee NG-East CBC/Weld
Hi all

Great weather for us out in Stoneham for this CBC. We had gracious and
appreciative hosts at the Pawnee Station Cafe in New Raymer. We promoted
the concept of Christmas Bird Counts to the locals and energy sector
workers, too. We also got to meet some of the local ranchers/farmers while
out in the field and some providing access to quality bird habitat which
most certainly increased our count efforts. The Horned Lark (and Lapland
Longspur) population are far greater in the east section of PNG versus the
west, tally for both here dominated what was seen on Nunn CBC. It was
mentioned by all whether on the count or en route to the count the lack of
overall raptor #s and species in area--there were plenty of food (birds and
prairie dogs) around and perching opportunity--but we got our fair share.
All teams had Lapland Longspur. Apparently, we drove right by a perched
Long-eared Owl that another team had just picked up when we crossed paths
:-( Overall, fun CBC had by all. About a half-day event for interested
participants next year. The crow was surprising (for me).

First annual Pawnee National Grassland-East CBC birds:

- Northern Harrier - 4
- Rough-legged Hawk - 2
- Ferruginous Hawk - 2
- UNID buteo - 1