Date: 1/3/20 4:51 am
From: Billy Weber <robot.stories...>
Subject: [de-birds] Assawoman, etc. - 1/2
Found 105 species around the state yesterday, mostly at Assawoman Wildlife Area, Indian River Inlet, and Bombay Hook NWR. I missed the Western Tanager at BH on my way into the refuge at 4pm, but was surprised to see it feeding in its favorite bush outside the bathrooms when I returned to the visitor center at 4:52. Nothing wrong with a bedtime snack! I dipped on the Port Mahon Rough-leg in the 3:00-3:30 range and also somehow missed Razorbill at the inlet in the morning, learning afterward that one had been close to the north jetty around that time. (Common Eider, Forster’s Tern, and Tree Swallow were consolation prizes.) My best birds besides the tanager were at Assawoman: a drake Eurasian Wigeon (reported on the CBC) halfway out the walk toward Strawberry Landing, an Orange-crowned Warbler pished in at the gate at the beginning of that road, and a Common Yellowthroat (different from the one photographed on the CBC) at Mulberry Landing. I did have 2-3 Black-headed Gulls a!
t the Wolfe Neck sewage plant in Rehoboth, as well as the continuing immature Great Cormorant at the Cape Henlopen fishing pier. Notable flocks included 15 Killdeer at the junction of Double Bridges and Muddy Neck roads in South Bethany and a large congregation of Snow Geese resting on the ocean off Cape Henlopen’s Herring Point. (I initially thought these were gannets, and also temporarily mistook a distant Red-throated Loon for a Long-billed Murrelet, so I probably shouldn’t be allowed to bird in Delaware for a while.) Nighttime treats included a Barn Owl heard from the Bombay Hook gate, Barred Owl at Cedar Swamp Wildlife Area, and a Sora that uttered two “keek” series among the Virginia Rails on Cape Henlopen’s Walking Dunes Trail.

Happy New Year to all,

Billy Weber
Walnutport, PA

Sent from my iPhone