Date: 1/3/20 3:33 am
From: Susan Treesh <sktreesh...>
Subject: Re: [JERSEYBI] Interesting Perspective from a San Diego Birder
Thank you, Betsy, for throwing the out topic of the multiple ways to go
birding for discussion.  The growth in popularity of birding has been to
me both gratifying and somewhat unexpected, and I believe that ebird has
played a role in its expansion.  I use it, and I chase birds, at least
when they are somewhat reliable, and I admire those with greater
spontaneity.  The still-expanding number of tools it provides makes
birding much more interactive, yet, as the author points out, funnels
birders into a narrower channel that produces one type of results.

Listing and chasing birds clearly have a long history, are enjoyable,
and are easier now than ever - particularly in a state like New Jersey,
where you really /can/ see all (most) of the birds.  Many of the best
birders do list.  But even so, we all have our own parameters as to what
and when and where we chase. Other serious birders have other
approaches.  New birders need to be aware of hotspot birding,
less-visited areas birding, patch birding (I think of that
black-throated gray warbler found on the scrubby edges of a Rutgers
parking lot.)  They should be aware that some top birders concentrate
more on certain bird families as opposed to total species numbers.  And
some eschew ebird altogether.  And all these ways of birding are valuable.

As yet we don't yet have comparable tools to ebird to help us engage
with others in these other ways to go birding.  I first heard earlier
this year about the 5 mile radius challenge described below, and even
hunted around for a compass I thought I had lying around the house
somewhere (without success).  I knew there must be an online tool for
this purpose!  There are bird clubs for talking with others about
birding.  There is Jerseybirds for writing and contextualizing birding
experiences.  There is Facebook for birding photographs (and maybe bird
photography is as powerful a tool as ebird, but it is more
decentralized).  Let's widen the chute and experiment in asking
different questions from, "did you see the ..."

Susan Treesh
Somerset

On 1/2/2020 9:51 PM, Becky Laboy wrote:
> Happy New Year Birders! I recently returned from a trip to San Diego with my NBS (NEWLY birding spouse, only took 13 years! :) ) to continue our 50/50 Quest (50 birds in 50 states) which I originally began (and continue) with my sister. State 26 for me, 11 for him. (I’ve finally caught up to my awesome birder sister who also has 26 states ticked.) I signed up for San Diego’s version of JerseyBirds to get the latest scoop on local birds and, for now, continue to receive their daily emails. I found the below thoughts of one San Diego birder, also a Reviewer, interesting and thought I’d share, as the approach he offers can be applicable to Jersey, and everywhere. I’ve found a similar kind of “fun” he describes below, while doing the 50/50, as each new state brings anticipation and excitement as we explore new areas, even though we find “the same old birds” - cardinals, blue jays, starlings...and an occasional unexpected Rusty Blackbird, Pileated WP, etc..., and !
> of course we search for rarities when possible, as we race around gathering our 50+ birds. Truly, I feel the excitement of January 1st on every trip! It offers a great thrill and I highly recommend it! Every bird is a “good bird”! However you decide “to bird” this year, I wish you all good luck and “good birds”!
> -Becky Laboy, Bayville, Ocean County, NJ
>
> Here is Justyn’s post:
>
> “ Birders,
>
> As the final days of 2019 pass, and January 1st looms, many organizations (eBird, BirdsEye, etc.) are promoting more and bigger birding in 2020, often with a “How to Do a Big Year” theme. Meanwhile, I had been contemplating writing an email proposing a different strategy: one discouraging the seemingly perpetual county year listing habit that has developed in San Diego, Orange, Los Angeles, and elsewhere. Granted, we all bird for different reasons, with different styles. However, while some think of Big Years as primarily exploratory (and perhaps they are in less populated areas), long year lists are usually comprised of large numbers of species found by other observers that required chasing, often with few rarities or unexpected birds actually found by the owner of the list. Big Years on any scale have increasingly become a product of how successful a person is at chasing birds found by other people, with little time devoted to exploration and a great deal of time ear!
> marked for running after reported rarities. Clearly birding with this approach is satisfactory for many, but there are other, potentially more gratifying ways to bird than just being caught in an empty, unending cycle of chasing year birds.

> [...]

or e-mail to <njbrcreport...>
List help: <jerseybi-request...>
List archives: https://lists.princeton.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A0=jerseybi

Join us on Facebook!