Date: 1/2/20 4:49 pm
From: Sandra Mc <jerseyb...>
Subject: [JERSEYBI] Sandhill Cranes, Somerset Co. NJ
Hi Jersey Birders:

Since we were in the area, we decided to try for the Sandhill Cranes. Did not make it to this area last year and I made an error with road name taking us down Weston Canal Road instead of Weston Road which is closer to Colonial Park. Once I figured out my error, we turned onto Randolph Road to make our way to the correct road which for many years had corn fields with a low rise here and there which is where the cranes were often seen. To my dismay, but expected due to the ever encroaching development in the area, the entire block up to Schoolhouse Rd is being developed. A manmouth warehouse now dominates the fields with the natural contours gone.

We did see the Cranes in the location indicated by others and they are just beautiful. While the food sources right in that immediate area are dwindling, much of Somerset County to the west still has lots of open land with corn stubble. While I believe the birds like the use of the Raritan and Millstone Rivers for protection and roosting as I have seen them in the water there, my hope is that we will continue to visit each winter and make use of other food sources nearby. My guess is that it will become difficult for us to see them easily in the future.

Good NJ birding.

Sandy McNicol
Kingwood Township

or e-mail to <njbrcreport...>