Date: 1/2/20 2:14 pm
From: Collins, Fred (Commissioner Pct. 3) <Fred.Collins...>
Subject: [texbirds] Cypress Creek preliminary results
Dear Texbirders,

We held the 44th annual Cypress Creek CBC (AKA Katy Prairie) yesterday on January 1. About 88 observers reported 147 species to the countdown dinner tally. A good total for our count, our 5 year average is 142 species. We missed Roseate Spoonbill, seen the day before (during the count week). So our total now stands at 148, which ties our third highest count. Our "write in" species were Greater Scaup (Brent Ortego), Prairie Warbler (Megan Ahlgren, discovered on the 31st by Jim Hinson), Say's Phoebe (Jim Hinson relocated the bird for my party which I originally found on Dec. 16), and Green Heron (Mark Pearson).

If you were out birding on January 1st or within three days either side you may have seen a bird we missed. Or you may see one or more of these in the circle this coming Saturday which is the end of the count period for the count. If so please let me know.

Relatively common birds missed on the count:

Black-bellied Whistling Duck
Canada Goose
Canvasback (they were a no show at Paul Rushing Park on count day!)
Bufflehead
Any grebe other than Pied-billed
Any rail other than Sora
Common Gallinule