Date: 1/2/20 12:58 pm
From: Janet Warren <jwarren...>
Subject: Re: [VTBIRD] Goldfinches in Brattleboro
We’ve had a flock for about 2 months and they seem to stick around, no matter the weather. We have several tube feeders and we fill them with hulled sunflower seed which is the Goldfinch food of choice here. I was given a small pottery feeder for Christmas and filled it with niger seen. So far, no Goldfinch seems interest in it. In the summer, I plant a “weed” called salsify for it’s fall seeds that form an umbrella shape similar to dandelion, but much prettier. Unfortunately, the Goldfinches love the seeds even before they are formed, such is their passion for them.
> On Jan 2, 2020, at 10:11 AM, Ralph Palmer <palmer.r.violin...> wrote:
>
> Greetings -
>
> My wife and I were on a road trip this fall, and didn't get to set out our
> feeders until the middle of November, when most birds here seem to have set
> up their winter feeding routes. We gradually started seeing some Juncos,
> then some other birds we're used to, but no Goldfinches. Then, earlier this
> week, we had a couple of days with freezing rain, and we suddenly had a
> dozen or more Goldfinches for extended (at least 15 or 20 minutes) periods
> of time. So I thought maybe they had finally discovered (through searches
> founded in necessity) our thistle feeder and added us to their feeding
> route. However, once the freezing rain disappeared, so (it seems) have the
> Goldfinches.
>
> Two quick questions:
> 1) Have others on this list had similar experiences? and
>
> 2) Does anyone know what food source the Goldfinches may have temporarily
> lost due to the freezing rain? I'm afraid I don't know much about the
> Goldfinches' normal diet, especially in the winter.
>
> Thanks for your attention and any responses,
>
> Ralph
>
> --
> Ralph Palmer
> Brattleboro, VT