Date: 1/2/20 10:40 am
From: Herb and Sarah Myers <hesemyers...>
Subject: Fwd: eBird Report - Seneca Rocks - Trail, Jan 2, 2020
Instead of counting birds in our local state parks as we did in 2019, I
decided to count birds once a month at the Seneca Rocks National Recreation
Area in 2020. We did our January count this morning. It began cloudy and
cold. Our first birds were a flock of 9 Eastern Bluebirds with a Downy
Woodpecker high in a sycamore tree along the North Fork of the South Branch
of the Potomac. At the bottom of the trail up to the top of the rocks, we
were surprised by a Yellow-bellied Sapsucker. I thought this might be our
bird of the day. It was pretty quiet climbing to the top of the rocks - on
the trail, not the rocks.

After enjoying the view, a snack, and a pair of Black-capped Chickadees at
the platform on top, we started down. Very shortly, Sarah noticed a
"nuthatch" climbing a tree. When I got my binoculars on it, I saw that it
was a Brown Creeper. That quickly became our bird of the day as I have not
seen one for a long time. It also called for us in its high pitched voice.

Our family of birds for the day is woodpeckers. As seen on the list below,
we saw all of the possible woodpeckers for the area except Red-headed
Woodpeckers. We probably could have found one of those up in Germany Valley.

It was a good morning. I wonder and Sarah hopes that we will need to climb
up in snow in February or March? Herb Myers, Harman from Pendleton County