Date: 1/2/20 9:53 am
From: Jack Chiles <dmarc-noreply-outsider...> (Redacted sender chilesjack for DMARC)
Subject: [texbirds] Tuesday morning bird census, Hagerman NWR
Today was chilly, around freezing at the beginning with a light breeze. There were lots of white geese present today. We estimated there were about 6500 geese including a pretty even mix of Snow Geese and Ross's Geese. Ross's Geese numbers have been steadily increasing the last several years. There was a good number of duck species, notably 263 Northern Pintails, 235 Green-winged Teal, 11 Bufflehead and 3 Wood Ducks. We found a Horned Grebe off the end of Sandy Point and 2 Hooded Mergansers on a small pond by Hagerman Cemetery. There were large numbers of Ring-billed Gulls, a few Herring Gulls and a Bonaparte's Gull. There were also large numbers of Double-crested Cormorants. We found Red-headed Woodpeckers at both Deaver and Dead Woman's Pond. We saw a Pileated Woodpecker on the cut thru from C pad to Sandy Point Road. The best bird of the day was also the last species we saw for the day, a Crested Caracara near the north low water crossing. We finished the day with 82 species.
I would like to wish everyone that reads this post a Happy New Year and a prosperous 2020.
https://ebird.org/checklist/S62815384
Jack Chiles, Texas master naturalist and volunteer, Hagerman NWR
http://www.freelists.org/list/texbirds

from the List Owner

Join us on Facebook!