Date: 1/2/20 9:40 am
From: Marcia Watson <marshwren50...>
Subject: [MDBirding] Birder’s Guide to MD & DC - Website Relaunch
Happy New Year to everyone. For the new year, the Maryland Ornithological Society has a new look for its its online Birder’s Guide to Maryland & DC at a new address: https://birdersguidemddc.org/. This online resource, which first launched in 2016, now has descriptions of 192 places to bird, covering all the counties in MD, the City of Baltimore, and Washington, DC. It’s meant to be a resource for local birders as well as out-of-state visitors.

There are many new features on the website, including the ability to search for birding sites by name, by region, by county, by habitat, by type (such as a state park or hunting area), by features (such as boat launch or picnic area), and via a statewide interactive Google map. One of the new features is a set of links to top eBird hotspots, including the top 25 hotspots for MD & DC, the #1 hotspot in each county, and the top ten in each region; these top hotspot collections are available by scrolling down on the home page.

This project has been a long time coming and has been a true collaborative volunteer effort. MOS first set up a committee to develop a MD birding trail or guide back in 2008. More than 70 people representing all parts of MD as well as DC have contributed content for the Birder’s Guide; a complete list of contributors is on the website under the “About Us” menu item. The beautiful photo of a Baltimore Oriole at the top of the new home page was contributed by Bonnie Ott. The new website was designed by Gabe Seiden of Connect4Consulting, a small business located in Takoma Park.

We are still building out some of the content for the website, especially birding site descriptions and a checklist for Washington, DC, as well as some of the features that will be under the “Resources” menu item. Also, some time later this year, we’ll be putting out a call for photos of the birding locations. We will continue adding more birding site descriptions just as fast as we can research the details and write them up. For this effort, input from local birders is crucial, so if you would like to suggest a place to include, or if you have updates or corrections for existing site descriptions, please let us know. I serve as the editor for the website and my email address is <marshwren50...>

I hope that you’ll take a look at the website and that it will inspire you to visit some new places. https://birdersguidemddc.org/

Marcia
Marcia Watson
Patuxent Bird Club