Date: 1/2/20 7:13 am
From: Ralph Palmer <palmer.r.violin...>
Subject: [VTBIRD] Goldfinches in Brattleboro
Greetings -

My wife and I were on a road trip this fall, and didn't get to set out our
feeders until the middle of November, when most birds here seem to have set
up their winter feeding routes. We gradually started seeing some Juncos,
then some other birds we're used to, but no Goldfinches. Then, earlier this
week, we had a couple of days with freezing rain, and we suddenly had a
dozen or more Goldfinches for extended (at least 15 or 20 minutes) periods
of time. So I thought maybe they had finally discovered (through searches
founded in necessity) our thistle feeder and added us to their feeding
route. However, once the freezing rain disappeared, so (it seems) have the
Goldfinches.

Two quick questions:
1) Have others on this list had similar experiences? and

2) Does anyone know what food source the Goldfinches may have temporarily
lost due to the freezing rain? I'm afraid I don't know much about the
Goldfinches' normal diet, especially in the winter.

Thanks for your attention and any responses,

Ralph

--
Ralph Palmer
Brattleboro, VT