Date: 1/2/20 6:04 am
From: 'James Tyler Bell' via Maryland & DC Birding <mdbirding...>
Subject: Re: [MDBirding] Re: eBird and MD BBA3
My understanding is that if you submit birds in your checklist that don't have any breeding codes, it won't go into the BBA data. So, in late spring, when boreal songbirds are coming through, as long as you don't list them as singing on territory or something else egregious, you should be fine. That way you don't have to flip flop between the BBA portal and regular eBird.

Tyler Bell
<jtylerbell...>
California, Maryland

On Thursday, January 2, 2020, 8:56:37 AM EST, John McKitterick <john.mckitterick...> wrote:

Mike:
You should definitely submit any breeding observations through the atlas portal, regardless of where in Maryland or DC you are birding. One of the neat things about using eBird for the Atlas is that we can all contribute to the effort whenever we are out birding in MD/DC. The Atlas uses the block leads not to control who is atlasing the blocks, but to ensure that the level of effort is consistent in each block throughout the state. We want each block to be atlased with at least a minimum number of hours of effort, and achieving that is one of the main responsibilities of the block leads.
As far as which portal to use goes, if you know you are atlasing, then obviously you should use the atlas portal. On the other hand, if you think you won't be gathering any useful breeding data, you might set your portal to the regular eBird portal. And then if you do see or hear breeding evidence, you have two options. One is to stop your current eBird list, submit it, and start up a new one using the Atlas portal to record those codes. The other is to record the breeding code in your current eBird list, and then once you've submitted the list you can edit the list on eBird to change the portal after the fact. I don't think you can change the portal on a submitted list through the smartphone app, so you will have to remember to do it when you get home and have access to a browser.
--John McKitterickColumbia, MDVP, MOS

On Thu, Jan 2, 2020, 8:21 AM 'Mike Bowen' via Maryland & DC Birding <mdbirding...> wrote:

A related question:  For the duration of the BBA in Maryland/DC, should I use the MD-DC BBA portal for any and all my birding in MD and DC, even though most of it will necessarily be in blocks assigned to others and likely will not contain any breeding information
Mike Bowen, Montgomery County
D. H. Michael Bowen
8609 Ewing Drive
Bethesda, Maryland 20817Phone/fax: (301) 530-5764

On Thursday, January 2, 2020, 08:02:02 AM EST, 'Jim Nelson' via Maryland & DC Birding <mdbirding...> wrote:

One more thing.  At the bottom of the eBird homepage is a link to a page about "Regional portals and collaborators"  The Virginia Breeding Bird Atlas portal is on that list (MD does not appear yet, I suspect because the portals page hasn't been updated).  At the top of that webpage it says -- "eBird is available throughout the world. In addition to the core eBird site we have several regional portals, which are managed by local partners and provide local information and birding expertise. When visiting a region or planning a visit to that region, we encourage you to check these sites. These applications are fully integrated so when you enter records into eBird, they immediately show up in each portal (and vice versa)."
To test this, when I clicked on the VA eBird Atlas link there, I got a screen that shows my stats through that portal -- 6 checklists, 4 species confirmed as breeding (based on codes I used in eBird), etc.  When I clicked on "My eBird" in that portal I see my total stats, and when I click on "Manage My Checklists" I get only the 6 checklists I submitted through that portal.

Then going back to my regular eBird portal (the one we all use), those 6 checklists are in my list under "Manage My Checklists" with all the other checklists I have submitted.
Jim Nelson