Date: 1/2/20 5:56 am
From: John McKitterick <john.mckitterick...>
Subject: Re: [MDBirding] Re: eBird and MD BBA3
Mike:

You should definitely submit any breeding observations through the atlas
portal, regardless of where in Maryland or DC you are birding. One of the
neat things about using eBird for the Atlas is that we can all contribute
to the effort whenever we are out birding in MD/DC. The Atlas uses the
block leads not to control who is atlasing the blocks, but to ensure that
the level of effort is consistent in each block throughout the state. We
want each block to be atlased with at least a minimum number of hours of
effort, and achieving that is one of the main responsibilities of the block
leads.

As far as which portal to use goes, if you know you are atlasing, then
obviously you should use the atlas portal. On the other hand, if you think
you won't be gathering any useful breeding data, you might set your portal
to the regular eBird portal. And then if you do see or hear breeding
evidence, you have two options. One is to stop your current eBird list,
submit it, and start up a new one using the Atlas portal to record those
codes. The other is to record the breeding code in your current eBird list,
and then once you've submitted the list you can edit the list on eBird to
change the portal after the fact. I don't think you can change the portal
on a submitted list through the smartphone app, so you will have to
remember to do it when you get home and have access to a browser.

--John McKitterick
Columbia, MD
VP, MOS