Date: 1/1/20 9:36 pm
From: Bill Bousman <barlowi...>
Subject: [southbaybirds] Tropical Kingbird
Folks:

I started my 2020 list this morning in the Mountain View and Palo Alto
area.  I had brief looks at a TROPICAL KINGBIRD perched on the wires
along Embarcadero Road between the WQCP and the estuary (attached).  The
gray head contrasts well with the green back. Although the bill is not
in profile, it seems larger than Cassin's or Western.  The Tropical has
a brownish tail, but this rear view does not show the tail well.  I
believe that the last sighting of the two Tropicals in the Palo Alto
Baylands in the fall period was on 16 Nov at the Duck Pond.  We've had a
number of this species remain into late November, but I think this may
be the first winter period bird.

Otherwise, there were lots of nice birds today and I ran into Mike
Mammoser a couple of times.  We both saw a female BARROW'S GOLDENEYE on
Shoreline Lake and a male GREAT-TAILED GRACKLE NEARBY.  Mike also had a
male EURASIAN WIGEON in Pond A1 and a male BLUE-WINGED TEAL at the Palo
Alto Baylands.  The SNOW GEESE were not to be found in Lot E at
Shoreline because of the many hundreds of runners and walkers that were
out this morning raising funds for charitable causes. About noon the
Snow Goose family was with 200-300 Canadas in Pond A2W towards the
southeast corner.

Jim Yurchenco and Amy Lauterbach reported a Pileated Woodpecker in Coe
Park yesterday.  I believe this is the seventh record in the Diablo
Range including the initial two records on 9 Mar 1980 and 13 Mar 1987.

Bill Bousman
Menlo Park

View/Reply Online (#20925): https://groups.io/g/southbaybirds/message/20925
-=-=-