Date: 1/1/20 8:45 pm
From: Ginger Langdon-Lassagne via Groups.Io <binzer=<me.com...>
Subject: [southbaybirds] Varied Thrush at Joseph D. Grant county park
Hi folks,

Barry and I had a wonderful Big Day today (Jan. 1), at many sites along the Bay and in the East hills. The most unusual sighting for us was a single VARIED THRUSH, found in the vicinity of the farmhouse at Grant county park on Mount Hamilton. Shortly after 4pm, it was feeding on the lawn just outside/before the small bridge/driveway that crosses the creek to the farmhouse. It then flew up into a bare tree and posed long enough for me to call Barry back to take its photo. Spectacular sight!

Other notables during the day were a MERLIN at the boathouse parking lot at Shoreline Lake in Mountain View, PINE SISKINS in downtown Los Altos (we missed the Grosbeaks, sadly), and a flyover pair of PINTAILS at the EEC in Alviso. We would have missed out on seeing the BALD EAGLE on the power towers over Salt Pond A2W, if we hadn’t crossed paths with Frank V.! His Questar scope changed the distant blur in my binoculars into a clearly identifiable 2nd/3rd year Bald Eagle, our only eagle of the day. Many thanks, sir.

Happy New Year to everyone!

Ginger Langdon-Lassagne
<binzer...>

View/Reply Online (#20924): https://groups.io/g/southbaybirds/message/20924