Date: 1/1/20 7:07 pm
From: Brad Schram <gonebrdn...>
Subject: [slocobirding] 2019 Arroyo Grande 5MR Results
I've written some observations about my 2019 Five-mile Radius local
birding, about 2500 words including a list of birds I expected to see
contrasted with the list of birds I actually did see.  If you have
insomnia and would like to receive a copy by return email, just let me
know and I'll send you a Word document by email.

I was often alerted to the presence of local rarities by San Luis Obispo
County birders, and I thank you all for sharing your information in a
timely manner, and for your interest in my 5MR project.

Here's the Reader's Digest version summarizing my birding within five
miles of the house last year:

·Number of days birding in the 5MR:194, probably averaging two and a
half hours a day when birding;

·Gallons of gasoline consumed in the 194 days: about two (I drove the
5MR in my Chevy Volt, averaging about 28 miles a day when birding away
from Deer Canyon.The Volt is nuclear-powered thanks to Diablo Canyon,
with an effective electric range of 36 miles.);

·Number of species seen: 224 (I set par at 221 in January 2019);

·Number of target list species missed:19;

·Number of species seen not on the target list:22;

·Number of species represented by only one individual seen:34;

·Number of species reported by others within the 5MR but missed: 4
(Red-necked Grebe, Franklin’s Gull, Black-legged Kittiwake, and
Nashville Warbler);

·Number of species heard only: 1 (Western Screech Owl).

Brad Schram

Arroyo Grande