Date: 1/1/20 4:55 pm
From: <anhinga3...>
Subject: [MASSBIRD] BBC New Year's Day Birding Trip 01/01/2020
Happy New Year MassBirders!

Mark Burns and I led our 24th Annual New Year's Day Birding Trip for the
Brookline Bird Club (BBC) today! At 9:00AM, 39 BBCers joined us at the
Newburyport "T" Station parking lot where we toasted in the New Year with
sparkling apple cider. During the toast, introductions were made and folks
told us where they traveled from and what their first bird of the New Year
was. (Mine was Blue Jay and Mark's was American Goldfinch.)

We birded Salisbury Beach State Reservation, Parker River National Wildlife
Refuge, and Cape Ann [Andrews Point, Cathedral Ledge, Old Granite Pier, Bass
Rocks/Elks Club, Niles Pond, and Jodrey Fish Pier] and called it a day at
4:30PM. The temperature ranged from 34df to 40df with wind gusts up to
25mph. We tallied 52 species for the Club list. Following is a complete list
of the birds we saw:

Canada Goose - 560

Mute Swan - 2

Gadwall - 10

American Black Duck - 375

Mallard - 205

Greater Scaup - 16 (Niles Pond)

Lessor Scaup - 2 (Niles Pond)

King Eider - 1 (Bass Rocks/Elks Club. Thank you to Linda Ferraresso for
finding this gem!)

Common Eider - 493

Harlequin Duck - 30 (Andrews Point/Old Granite Pier)

Surf Scoter - 18

White-winged Scoter - 38

Black Scoter - 55

Long-tailed Duck - 216

Bufflehead - 73

Common Goldeneye - 21

Red-breasted Merganser - 68

Red-throated Loon - 2

Common Loon - 15

Horned Grebe - 5

Red-necked Grebe - 9

Northern Gannet - 12

Great Cormorant - 8

Turkey Vulture - 1

Bald Eagle - 3

Northern Harrier - 3

Accipiter sp. - 1

Red-tailed Hawk - 3

Wild Turkey - 4

Purple Sandpiper - 9

Ring-billed Gull - 109

Herring Gull - 398

Great Black-backed Gull - 46

Black-legged Kittiwake - 5

Razorbill - 19

Black Guillemot - 3

Rock Pigeon - 1240

Mourning Dove - 35

Snowy Owl - 2 (PRNWR)

Downy Woodpecker - 3

Blue Jay - 3

American Crow - 13

Common Raven - 2 (Fly-over at Jodrey Fish Pier)

Black-capped Chickadee - 6

Northern Mockingbird - 5

European Starling - 95

American Tree Sparrow - 2

Song Sparrow - 4

Dark-eyed Junco - 8

Northern Cardinal - 16

American Goldfinch - 7

House Sparrow - 51

Many thanks to those who spent all or part of your day birding with us and
for your help in finding birds. What makes this trip so much fun to lead
each New Year's Day is spending time with you and kicking off a new year of
birding!

Wishing you a very Happy, Healthy, and Birdy 2020!

Laura H. de la Flor

Salem, MA

"So much to learn about Mother Nature ..
... always racing with father time." (lhf)

Join us on Facebook!