Date: 1/1/20 11:46 am
From: Tammy Eustis via CTBirds <ctbirds...>
Subject: Re: [CT Birds] Change of habitat, change of hawks in Burlington
I've noticed the same shift in our neighborhood, where we've lived for
50 years. When it was still young second-growth forest during my
childhood, we'd have red-tails around. Then as things grew in, the
forest hawks (red-shouldereds and Coopers) nested regularly in our woods
for almost a decade. Then people did a lot of tree thinning, we had no
hawks around for a while, and now the red-tails are settling back in
again.
We have barred and great-horned owls on a regular basis, but haven't
heard a screech since the 1970s.
This is why it really bothers me when people brush off development
clear-cutting by saying "There are plenty of trees - the birds can go
elsewhere!" People think a tree is a tree and a bird is a bird, with no
understanding of habitat diversity and ecological needs.
Tammy Eustis
Chester, CT