Date: 1/1/20 8:58 am
From: Anthony Hewetson <fattonybirds...>
Subject: [texbirds] 2019 Photographic Game - December Report
Greetings All:

In hopes that we couldn't possibly have two miserably dry, birdless,
and butterflyless years in a row and in hopes of a) getting that
danged painting done and b) getting more of my historical data entered
into eBird I decided to repeat my attempt to document 40 butterfly, 0
amphibian, 2 reptile, 80 bird, and 4 mammal species - with 90% of the
species seen/heard photographed as well.

Considering the year as a whole, I was both right and wrong about the
weather. We did get quite a bit of rain but it fell at weird times of
the year leading to a good year for butterflies but a poor year for
birds (particularly migrants and overflying waterfowl, shorebirds, and
waders.

December was alright: I managed 3 species of butterfly, 0 species of
amphibian, 0 species of reptile, 29 species of bird, and 1 species of
mammal during the month. I had three new birds (Ferruginous Hawk,
Northern Flicker, and Hermit Thrush) but only got pictures of one of
the three. For the year, my December efforts got me up to 40 species
of butterfly, 0 species of amphibian, 2 species of reptile, 59 species
of bird, and 5 species of mammal reaching 100%, 100%, 100%, 73.75%,
and 125% of my taxonomic goals for the year. Of the 106 species
recorded during the year, I photographed 88, putting me at 83.02% in
terms of my photographic goal.

I suspect I am going to take one more whack at this during 2020 as I
still have to focus on finishing off the historical eBird data entry
and painting the house - don't ask how little painting I got done -
but I did get my windows repaired:)

The list follows coded as *=new, (y) = photographed

Sleepy Orange
Dainty Sulphur
Gray Hairstreak

Cackling Goose