Date: 1/1/20 8:55 am
From: Jim Yurchenco <bird.jry...>
Subject: [southbaybirds] Coe Park Pileated
An all day walk at Henry Coe State Park on Tuesday, 12/31 yielded one unexpected bird. While walking the road above the Coyote Creek drainage, we heard a Pileated Woodpecker calling from the opposite side of the Creek. This was in the area of the old Gilroy Hot Springs resort. This is only the third record we have of this species in almost 40 years of birding in the park.

What is particularly interesting is that we had a previous record of Pileated in the same location from October 2017. We had not been back to the same place since then, but this second observation along Coyote Creek might suggest that there is at least one resident bird now in the park.

James Yurchenco
Amy Lauterbach

View/Reply Online (#20918): https://groups.io/g/southbaybirds/message/20918
-=-=-