Date: 1/1/20 8:04 am
From: ernest hahn <ernestphahn...>
Subject: Re: [JERSEYBI] NJ Vs MA
One of my favorite aspects of birding is never knowing what you may find on a given day. I decided to explore a seldom birded section of Plainsboro today as a nice relaxing way to end my Middlesex “big year”. I started at Mill Pond Park and walked east along a concrete path known as Lenape Trail. In addition to the usual suspects, a female Northern Shoveler was present on the pond. This is usually one of the trickier ducks to get in Middlesex County (only my second sighting of one this year), so I was already pleased with my decision to come.

As I continued along the trail, I was tallying more squirrels than land birds before I reached a power line cut that seemed to have some reasonable sparrow activity. Juncos, White-throats, Songs, Fields—wait, what was that? A Lark Sparrow! My first for Middlesex County and the first known sighting in four years. The bird gave exceptional views and eventually put on a terrific show for multiple birders later in the afternoon.

This surprise find gave me 245 species on the year for Middlesex County, an eBird record. I’d like to thank all of my Middlesex/Central NJ birding cohorts for any of their finds that helped me reach this milestone (Patrick Belardo, Steven Albert, Dan Brill, Eric Gehring, John Beetham, Ernest Hahn, Timothy A Brown, and others). It’s been a fun year of local birding. Here’s to another! 🦅🦉🦆

Photo courtesy of Fairfax Hutter

Sent from my iPad

> On Jan 1, 2020, at 10:07 AM, judson hamlin <jhhamlin...> wrote:
>
> Where in the county? That's a great find.
>
> Judson Hamlin
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
>> On Jan 1, 2020, at 8:30 AM, Ernest Hahn <ernestphahn...> wrote:
>>
>> Harvey, one more to add to your NJ list for outstanding birds in Jersey for 2019. Yesterday Louis Bizzarro found and documented a Lark Sparrow in Middlesex County. Well done Louis
>>
>> Ernie Hahn (totally frustrated by not being able to bird in the field for 4 months 🤬)
>>

>> How to report NJ bird sightings: see <www.njbrc.com/index.php/reporting-rare-birds/>
>> or e-mail to <njbrcreport...>
>> List help: <jerseybi-request...>
>> List archives: https://lists.princeton.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A0=jerseybi