Date: 12/31/19 12:03 pm
From: Cheryl Lish <cdlsueno...>
Subject: [slocobirding] Great Egret - injured 12.30.19
A Great Egret just landed in the field behind my house, about 40 ft from me. As I looked up it was likely downing a lizard.
There’s something hanging from its throat but appears to be sticking out through the skin just under its bill. I couldn’t confirm the object as plant or animal. It was a few inches long, sort of orange and yellow.
The feathers in that area and lower down on the front of its neck are in poor condition. Many are missing.
The bird is flight capable and is still able to eat.
I had to encourage it to leave when it headed for my house, likely for more lizards.
There was a Great Egret next to my house a few days ago that flew when I stepped out the back door.
New yard bird.
Cheryl Lish Arroyo Grande