Date: 12/31/19 11:13 am
From: Charles Coston <costoncj...>
Subject: [southbaybirds] The Villages and Silver Creek CC on Saturday
I led a group at the north edge of the Calero count circle, roughly south of Yerba Buena road along Silver Creek Road and San Filipe Road south to where the hills converge near Heartland Way.  Mostly, we check Silver Creek Country Club and The Villages Country Club areas.  Owling along upper Silver Creek Road yielded two Great Horned owls and a first for this count Barn Owl.  The big pond at The Ranch golf club had a Greater Yellowlegs - the first shorebird other than Killdeer in 20 years of this count.  Silver Creek Country Club had a Western Tanager female at a bird feeder, and The Villages had 28 (no lie) Hooded Mergansers on one pond, both new for this count.  Sparrows, finches and blackbirds were hard to find.  No notable raptors this year.  The Villages serves as a night roosting area for Canada Geese and for Turkey Vultures.  This year the Canadas numbered 230, and there were at least 25 TUVUs (14 on the ground at one point) in the big eucalyptus trees near the clubhouse.

View/Reply Online (#20913): https://groups.io/g/southbaybirds/message/20913
-=-=-
-=-=-
Group Owner: southbaybirds+<owner...>