Date: 12/31/19 6:06 am
From: Richard Gregg <greggra...>
Subject: Re: Bird Of Note: Leucistic Cormorant?
Adam,

Thank you so much for the feedback. With your input, the consensus is 100% Double-crested.

I was about 85% sure of my I.D. but that means I was 15% sick that a Great Cormorant was misidentified!

Your, and all the other comments offered were greatly appreciated and informative. Thanks and have a great New Year!

Rick Gregg
Kanawha Co., WV

> On Dec 31, 2019, at 8:57 AM, Adam Duerr <adam.duerr.az...> wrote:
>
> Rick - I think the cormorant that you photographed and described is a double-crested cormorant. I am not sure about the leucistic designation, although it appears lighter in color than I have seen before with that lightness extending farther onto its back. The molt characteristics of double-crested cormorants is not well described (not accurately). While completing my Dissertation on this species, I individually marked thousands of cormorants. I routinely saw adult cormorants (captured on nests and confirmed breeding) molt into what is described in field guides etc. as first year plumage in the fall. The alternate plumage of these birds was highly variable, with some showing more white/tan than others.
> Very nice description and photos too.
>
> Adam Duerr
> New Castle, PA

Join us on Facebook!