Date: 12/30/19 2:50 pm
From: janna pauser <jannapauser...>
Subject: [southbaybirds] Guadalupe River trail
This morning I birded the Guadalupe River trail north of Blossom Hill
Road to the Chynoweth Pond. I wanted to check this uncounted area of the
Calero-Morgan Hill CBC. I didn't get any count week birds but did see
four more SCALY BREASTED MUNIA, all juveniles together near the start.
Another highlight was a courting pair of AM. KESTRELS. I notice them
joined, falling through tree branches onto the ground. I witnessed this
same courtship spectacle with a Red-shouldered Hawk pair nearby last
year. What luck!

A PEREGRINE FALCON was on its usual perch on the north side of the hwy.
85 overpass. Close to the north end of the pond, along the creek, I
flushed a VIRGINIA RAIL. It must have been right below me when it gave a
loud high piercing call. I saw it fly across the creek into the foliage
and noticed the extensive rufous inside a dark outstretched wing but
that was it. The usual assortment of geese and ducks on the pond
included a COMMON MERGANSER pair, LESSER SCAUP, RUDDY DUCKS, RING NECKED
DUCKS a few BUFFLEHEAD and 40+ CANADA GEESE. Also along the creek were
LINCOLN'S SPARROW and  AM. GOLDFINCH but fewer crowned sparrows than
usual. RED SHOULDERED HAWK and BELTED KINGFISHER also seen along with
lots of courting ANNA'S HUMMINGBIRDS.

Janna Pauser
San Jose

View/Reply Online (#20909): https://groups.io/g/southbaybirds/message/20909