Date: 12/30/19 12:12 pm
From: Spector, David (Biology) <spectord...>
Subject: RE: [MASSBIRD] Leucistic junco (?)
The terms "albino," "leucistic," and "dilute" are used somewhat differently by different people, and some people get very adamant that their usage is the one and only "correct" usage. Here is one useful view of these terms:
https://www.sibleyguides.com/2011/08/abnormal-coloration-in-birds-melanin-reduction/ .

In some cases, such as young female juncos, distinguishing abnormally pale conditions from the extreme end of normal variation might not be easy.

David Spector
Belchertown, Massachusetts