Date: 12/30/19 12:03 pm
From: Jeremy Coleman <jcolemanarch...>
Subject: Re: [MASSBIRD] Leucistic junco (?)
As I understand it, a true albino has no pigment at all, whereas a
leucistic individual has individual feathers or even entire tracts which
lack pigment, but pigment is present elsewhere. Lack of eye pigment would
be the way to figure out which is which. I have seen some nearly pure white
birds that were still not albino, including a Red-tailed Hawks and an
American Robin.

Jeremy Coleman
Shelburne Falls MA

On Mon, Dec 30, 2019 at 2:52 PM Chris Heys <chris.p.heys...> wrote:

> Very neat. Does anyone reading this have a quick and dirty rundown on the
> difference between albinism and leucism in our avifauna?
>
> I understand albinism is loss of melanin while leucism is loss of other
> pigments aside from melanin and it did not affect the eyes. But is there a
> way to use the terms correctly simply by observing a particular bird?
>
> Chris Heys
> Jaffrey NH
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> On Dec 30, 2019, at 2:31 PM, Alvin T Laasanen <laasanen...> wrote:
>

> Following the lead of others I posted a picture of what appeared to be a
> partial albino Common Grackle coming to my finder briefly this summer. It
> had pinkish soft parts, a white head and a mostly dark body.
> https://ebird.org/checklist/S62779438
>
> Alvin Laasanen
> Sterling MA
> <laasanen...>
>

> On 12/29/2019 3:32 PM, Carol Baird Molander wrote:
>
> My husband and I saw this dark-eyed junco among several others today. Is
> it a leucistic bird, a sub-species or just very light in coloring? Ebird
> link included.
> Any thoughts?
> https://ebird.org/checklist/S62734584
> Thank you,