Date: 12/30/19 11:46 am
From: Chris Heys <chris.p.heys...>
Subject: Re: [MASSBIRD] Leucistic junco (?)
Very neat. Does anyone reading this have a quick and dirty rundown on the difference between albinism and leucism in our avifauna?

I understand albinism is loss of melanin while leucism is loss of other pigments aside from melanin and it did not affect the eyes. But is there a way to use the terms correctly simply by observing a particular bird?

Chris Heys
Jaffrey NH

Sent from my iPhone

> On Dec 30, 2019, at 2:31 PM, Alvin T Laasanen <laasanen...> wrote:
>

> Following the lead of others I posted a picture of what appeared to be a partial albino Common Grackle coming to my finder briefly this summer. It had pinkish soft parts, a white head and a mostly dark body.
> https://ebird.org/checklist/S62779438
>
> Alvin Laasanen
> Sterling MA
> <laasanen...>
>

>> On 12/29/2019 3:32 PM, Carol Baird Molander wrote:
>> My husband and I saw this dark-eyed junco among several others today. Is it a leucistic bird, a sub-species or just very light in coloring? Ebird link included.
>> Any thoughts?
>> https://ebird.org/checklist/S62734584
>> Thank you,
>> Carol Molander