Date: 12/30/19 11:03 am
From: Rick Herder <rick.herder...>
Subject: [southbaybirds] Calero-Morgan Hill CBC preliminary summary
About 85 observers enjoyed a clear, almost windless count day on Saturday, Dec. 28.  A preliminary species count totals 143 species, a few more than last year.   Participants have been very good about posting interesting results here on southbaybirds so I won't go into detail but will mention a few highlights.   Notable birds already reported on this user group include Greater White-fronted and Cackling Goose, Phainopepla, and Chipping Sparrow.  Observers also found Lewis's Woodpecker, Tree, Violet-Green, and Barn Swallows, and Blue-gray Gnatcatcher.   There was a mystery Kingbird in Coyote Valley at Laguna and Dougherty - yellow-bellied with no obvious markings on the tail.  Maybe a reader of this will find it again.  We may have the area's most reliable Wood Duck group just upstream from the Visitors Center at Anderson Lake County Park.  After a first review, it looks like we have at least 10 different Bald Eagle individuals in the circle, with 2nd-year, 3rd-year, and adults all represented.  It helped that Ranger Brian Christensen of Santa Clara County Parks took a boat of counters out onto Lake Anderson this year.  Besides Bald Eagles, the north end of the lake had many aechmophorus grebes and Spotted Sandpipers.  On count week a European Wigeon was reported at Calero.

View/Reply Online (#20907): https://groups.io/g/southbaybirds/message/20907
-=-=-
-=-=-
Group Owner: southbaybirds+<owner...>