Date: 12/30/19 9:16 am
From: Richard Gregg <greggra...>
Subject: Bird Of Note: Leucistic Cormorant?
Bird Of Note: Double-crested Cormorant, (slightly leucistic?)
See attached checklist with poor photos. (I tried to get Josh Holland to come by. *sigh*)
Google Earth distance to the bird is 280 to 300 yards.

Cormorant bill.
Large head.
Bright white throat and front of neck.
Bright white chest and upper belly.
Very light gray-white lower belly.
Gray backside of the neck and upper back.
Dark wings, flanks and under tail.
The cormorant appeared larger than “normal” but that is subjective. However, I have observed hundreds of them at this location since starting on eBird in Feb. 2014. This bird was distinctively patterned even around 300-yards away. Maybe the white front made it look larger.

After researching it, I “assumed” it was a Double-crested. This was due to the lower belly being slightly darker than the chest/throat area. A Great Cormorant should have the upper chest and throat areas somewhat darker than the belly. The opposite of this bird.

(Note: Some photos of immature White-breasted Great Cormorants from Africa look terribly similar to “my” bird and I will gladly, happily, gloriously change the species if eBird personnel should recommend I do so. Here’s a photo of that variant. https://www.hbw.com/ibc/photo/great-cormorant-phalacrocorax-carbo/adult-and-immature-white-breasted-cormorant-right-bird).

Sometimes, I want to pull out the rest of my hair with these @%@% birds.
(Just kidding. Luv em to death;>)

Humorous comments gladly accepted via public "reply all”.
Mean comments sullenly accepted via "reply”.
Educational comments/recommendations gladly accepted via “any way you want”.

Rick Gregg
Kanawha Co.

> Begin forwarded message:
>
> From: <ebird-checklist...>
> Subject: eBird Report - 131 W. Riverview, Belle, Dec 29, 2019
> Date: December 30, 2019 at 11:10:47 AM EST
> To: <greggra...>
>
> 131 W. Riverview, Belle, Kanawha, West Virginia, US
> Dec 29, 2019 12:45 PM - 2:45 PM
> Protocol: Stationary
> Checklist Comments: Overcast with slight rain showers. Kanawha River has normal level, current and color. With Jeannette G.
> 8 species
>
> Canada Goose (Branta canadensis) 6
> Mourning Dove (Zenaida macroura) 1
> Double-crested Cormorant (Phalacrocorax auritus) 1 Possibly slightly leucistic. Bright white throat, front of neck, chest and upper belly. Lower belly is slightly darker off-white. Back appeared light gray with very dark wings. Great Cormorant should have darker throat and chest.
> Blue Jay (Cyanocitta cristata) 1
> European Starling (Sturnus vulgaris) 27
> Northern Mockingbird (Mimus polyglottos) 1
> House Sparrow (Passer domesticus) 10
> Song Sparrow (Melospiza melodia) 2
>
> View this checklist online at https://ebird.org/checklist/S62772652
>
> This report was generated automatically by eBird v3 (https://ebird.org/home)