Date: 12/28/19 5:08 pm
From: Bruni Haydl <bruni...>
Subject: Eagles, etc.
Decided to check on my neighbor's  eagle nest yesterday afternoon.  One
Eagle was in the nest tree and its mate on a sycamore along the shore.
A little later they both took off and landed in two different trees on
the far shore of the Shenandoah. They seem to stay within sight of one
another.  I couldn't tell if there had been any sticks added to the nest.

It was great to see a raft of Common Mergansers on the water, thirteen
females and three males.  Also spotted some Turkeys disappearing into
the brush.  On the way back there was a lot of activity in a tangle of
honeysuckle vine, mostly White-throats, Song Sparrows, Chickadees,
Carolina Wrens and one sweet little Field Sparrow.

On the Christmas Bird count we were unable to find an American
Kestrel.   Since then I have seen over six of them in different places.
On my way home from Winchester one was on the wire over the median
strip.  Sine I had my binoculars I circled back so as to pull off the
road to get a good look at it.  He had his back to me with the sun on
him.  That rufous back and slate blue wings were stunning in the
afternoon light.  Later on I saw the resident Kestrel on Kabletown Rd.
hunting.  So cool to see him hover and then freeze for a minute before
moving his wings again.

Unusual bird not in WV but nearby Bluemont, VA is a gorgeous male
Baltimore Oriole.  Showed up in a perfect place because the property
owner is a bird watcher and good photographer.

Bruni Haydl

Charles Town, WV

Join us on Facebook!