Date: 12/27/19 5:24 pm
From: Carter Gasiorowski <carter.gasiorowski...>
Subject: [southbaybirds] Eagle and Gulls at Don Edwards
Today, Dec 27, my mom, dad and I went out to Don Edwards EEC area at around
10:40am. Just as we were driving into the parking lot a Red-tailed Hawk
was sitting on a pole, but before I could get pictures a Red-shouldered
Hawk chased it away.

Walking along the south edge of A16, I was inspired to look at the gulls
after reading about the Gull Workshop held here by Bill Pelletier and Kitty
O'Neil. The gulls flew by super close to the trail, allowing for great
photo opportunities. Among the many Ring-billed, California, Herring, and
Glaucous-winged Gulls were four Iceland (Thayer's) Gulls, three Mew Gulls,
at least two Olympic (Western x Herring hybrid) Gulls, and three Cook Inlet
(Herring x Glaucous-winged) Gulls. As I was looking at the gulls, my mom
spotted a first-year BALD EAGLE eating a carcass at the far end of
Crittenden Marsh, presumably the same one found by the Gull Workshop group
on the 23rd. In A16 there was a large group of at least 200 Cinnamon
Teals, as well as a single Red-breasted Merganser.

We then walked along Mallard Slough, where there were five Common
Gallinules in the reeds, along with a heard-only Sora.

As we were leaving, there was a Cooper's Hawk sitting in a bush between the
EEC and the gate.

Full species list with lots of pictures:
https://ebird.org/checklist/S62680090

Happy Christmas Bird Counting!
Carter

View/Reply Online (#20896): https://groups.io/g/southbaybirds/message/20896