Date: 12/24/19 7:50 am
From: Susan Heath <sheath...>
Subject: [texbirds] banded Loggerhead Shrikes
Texbirders,

Biologists from the Gulf Coast Bird Observatory and the Texas Midcoast NWR
Complex are banding Loggerhead Shrikes for a new study aimed at determining
habitat partitioning differences between migrant and resident shrikes during
winter along the Texas coast. Banded shrikes will have two color bands on
the left leg and a color band and a metal band on the right leg. Some are
receiving transmitters and the antenna can be seen hanging out behind the
bird if the bird has a transmitter. Note that it is often not possible to
see all the color bands as shrikes like to sit down over their legs. The
antenna is usually easy to see though. This project will last for four
winters (this being the first). This winter we have banded four shrikes in
the area around Brazoria NWR (one on the tour loop, one on CR 208, and two
in the neighborhood along Bastrop Bayou across from Demi John) and five
shrikes in the Sargent area (one on Sargent Ranch Road, two on Heron Street,
one in the neighborhood along CR 201 and one near the GIWW. We have received
a lot of reports through the Bird Banding Lab for the shrike along the tour
loop at Brazoria NWR so I figured I'd pass the word along to everyone to
look for the others. If you see one, you can report it to the BBL or to me
directly. We would very much appreciate a lat/long for your sighting as we
can use this data to determine territory size. We will be rotating banding
sites each winter so I will post an update with the banding sites for next
year. Thanks much for your help!

Sue

Susan A. Heath PhD

Director of Conservation Research

Gulf Coast Bird Observatory

The opinions expressed are my own and not necessarily those of the company.

Join us on Facebook!