Date: 12/24/19 5:21 am
From: Karen Strong <kstrong1109...>
Subject: [cobirds] Winter Birding – Northern Wildlife Area, Arapahoe County

Yesterday morning David Suddjian and I birded the peaceful South Platte
River area south of Reynolds Park. The sky was consistently active, with
many groups of geese (Cackling & Canada) and ducks (Northern Shoveler &
Mallard) passing overhead. The river also had some nice action –
highlights being a group of 17 Greater Scaup (mostly males), the steadfast
Mallards - including one displaying male, and a beautiful bright male
American Wigeon. Several Killdeer working the rocky spits in the river
were also a welcome sight, as I hadn’t seen any in quite a while. The
willows and woods were relatively quiet, as expected for this time of
year. 2 Northern Flickers chasing each other in circles around the trees
spiced things up, as did 3 Hairy Woodpeckers – a male & female Rocky
Mountains ssp and a male intergrade. Black-capped Chickadees &
White-breasted Nuthatches provided excellent company, calling & whistling
as they defied gravity while working the trees overhead. Back in the car
and about to leave, a Say’s Phoebe popped up at the side of the parking lot
to perch on some tall weeds to forage, then moved on to a nearby fence line
& disappeared. I really enjoy birding this time of year. The relative
sparseness of birds makes me appreciate what birds I do encounter with the
delight of running into old friends.

Karen Strong

Lakewood