Date: 12/23/19 9:52 pm
From: William Pelletier via Groups.Io <wrpelletier=<yahoo.com...>
Subject: [southbaybirds] Alviso Gull Workshop today 12/23
All,
Happy Christmas eve, eve!
We had a very successful Gull Workshop this afternoon 12/23 at Don Edwards EEC. Twenty-seven birders showed up for a beautiful day, amazing surprises (Kumlien's Iceland Gull found immediately) and a fantastic group of people.
We held a one-hour learning session at 2pm, where we reviewed our 8 most likely Gulls (California, Ring-billed, Herring, Western, Mew, Bonaparte's, Glaucous-winged & Iceland Gull) plus Lesser Black-backed and Glaucous Gull, which would be a Christmas miracle. After an hour of discussing Gulls in a class setting, we took our new learned skills to the field.
Luckily we had a host of leaders. First, thank you to Noah Arthur for his outstanding expertise in the class session, but even more in his ability to pick the special Gulls out. The other leaders included Kitty O'Neil, Jerry Ting, Garrett Lau, Sergio Perez & Dani Christiansen.
We hauled a couple of dozen telescopes out the short path to the levee at salt pond A16. At first, when we saw that there weren't many Gulls, we thought it'd be a bust. But we netted a total of 11 Gulls if you include subspecies and hybrids. Amazing! Thankfully there were only a few (4 reported)California Gulls, which can often number in the hundreds, obscuring the special birds we seek. With these open views we found all 8 common Gulls and a few fun extras. Here are the birds we've got listed at this point, but we still have to check & verify our photos:1. California Gull
2. Ring-billed Gull3. Herring Gull4. Western Gull5. Glaucous-winged Gull6. Bonapart's Gull7. Mew Gull8. Iceland Gull - Thayer's9. Iceland Gull - Kumlien's10. Herring x Glaucous-winged Gull hybrid11. Western x Glaucous-winged Gull "Olympic" hybrid
We all just got a little bit better at identifying Gulls. It's hard, but it only gets easier if you actually do it ;)
eBird list can be found at:eBird Checklist - 23 Dec 2019 - Don Edwards NWR--Pond A16 - 31 species (+4 other taxa)

| | |

| |
eBird Checklist - 23 Dec 2019 - Don Edwards NWR--Pond A16 - 31 species (...

Submitted by Bill Pelletier.

Merry Christmas,Bill & Kitty

View/Reply Online (#20880): https://groups.io/g/southbaybirds/message/20880
-=-=-