Date: 12/23/19 4:31 pm
From: Sue Ewan <ewans...>
Subject: [texbirds] Santa Ana Bird Walk, December 23, 2019
Good morning, Texbirders,
Beautiful day no rain and the mud was virtually gone as we headed out Chacha trail. We had a great group who saw lots, so we birded slowly, and finished the morning at the Old Headquarters. Folks left for lunch, then gathered back again and this time we all enjoyed Pintail for the afternoon. Highlight birds were the Yellow-bellied Sapsucker, Eastern Screech Owl and Black Phoebe.
Come join the fun! Bird walks are conducted daily (except Sunday) beginning at 8:30am. No walk on Christmas morning.
John and Sue Ewan, USFWS volunteers
Santa Ana National Wildlife Refuge
Alamo, TX

CHECKLIST S62563660
Mon 23 Dec 2019 8:19 AM Morning Walk
Santa Ana NWR--Willow Lakes Hidalgo County, Texas, United States
John and Sue Ewan
Traveling Complete 3 hr, 10 min 2.45 mi
Submitted from eBird Android, version 2.0.6
51 Species observed
3 Blue-winged Teal
26 Northern Shoveler
3 Gadwall
6 Mottled Duck
11 Northern Pintail
2 Green-winged Teal
2 Redhead
4 Plain Chachalaca
1 Least Grebe
1 Inca Dove
3 White-tipped Dove
1 White-winged Dove
1 Common Pauraque
3 Killdeer
1 Anhinga
7 American White Pelican
1 Great Egret
4 Turkey Vulture
2 Osprey
1 Northern Harrier
1 Cooper's Hawk
2 Harris's Hawk
1 Eastern Screech-Owl
1 Green Kingfisher
5 Golden-fronted Woodpecker
2 Ladder-backed Woodpecker
1 Peregrine Falcon
2 Eastern Phoebe
5 Great Kiskadee
2 White-eyed Vireo
2 Blue-headed Vireo
15 Green Jay
3 Black-crested Titmouse
2 Verdin
13 Tree Swallow
4 Ruby-crowned Kinglet
2 Blue-gray Gnatcatcher
1 House Wren
5 Carolina Wren
1 Long-billed Thrasher
2 Northern Mockingbird
2 Clay-colored Thrush
2 House Sparrow
1 Olive Sparrow
3 Altamira Oriole
125 Red-winged Blackbird
1 Black-and-white Warbler
2 Orange-crowned Warbler
1 Common Yellowthroat
1 Black-throated Green Warbler
3 Northern Cardinal

CHECKLIST S62571272
Mon 23 Dec 2019 12:59 PM Afternoon Walk
Santa Ana NWR--Pintail Lakes Trail Hidalgo County, Texas, United States
John and Sue Ewan
Traveling Complete 2 hr, 43 min 2.6 mi
Submitted from eBird Android, version 2.0.6
37 Species observed
4 Blue-winged Teal
6 Northern Shoveler
13 Gadwall