Date: 12/23/19 12:03 pm
From: Brad Schram <gonebrdn...>
Subject: [slocobirding] White-faced Ibis, Pacific Wren
Birding Pismo Creek mouth this morning, in hopes of something new blown
in during the storm, proved disappointing because nothing seems to have
changed since last week.

Following the creek mouth prowl I was pleasantly surprised to find a
PACIFIC WREN in a willow and  German Ivy tangle along Pismo Creek behind
the Pismo water treatment facility.  Many tries along AG Creek, and at
the same location last winter, didn't produce one, and I was resigned to
missing it on my 2019 5 Mile Radius list.

Moving on to the Pismo State Beach Golf Course at the end of Grand Ave I
found the wintering juv. GREATER WHITE-FRONTED GOOSE & CACKLING GOOSE to
be still working the grass in loose association with the CANADA GOOSE
flock.  Young birders Liam and Kilian Hampl happened by, telling me that
they'd found a WHITE-FACED IBIS on the course earlier this morning!  I
was delighted to hear this, another bird missing from the 5MR thus far
this year.  This bird proved a little difficult, feeding in the tules in
a course pond, but finally revealed itself.

A surprising morning, two new birds for the 5MR this late in the year.

Brad Schram
Arroyo Grande