Date: 12/21/19 3:03 pm
From: David Sarkozi <david...>
Subject: [texbirds] Jay Packer's Taylor County Big Year
Some may not be away of Jay Packer's Taylor County Big Year (Abilene). Jay
had a Ferruginous Hawk today for county bird 289 this year. While Taylor
County does have two good size lakes, Kirby Lake and Lake Abilene, that's a
really remarkable total for a that part of Texas. How has he done this? Ny
birding every single day, and I mean he has not skipped a single day this
year!

I write this because 290 species seems like a very real possibility with 10
days to go in the year. This month alone he has added Hutton's Vireo,
Crested Caracara, Le Conte's Sparrow, Red-headed Woodpecker, Green-tailed
Towhee, and Ferruginous Hawk.

Jay is doing this to raise money for the Kirby Lake Nature Park. To date
close to $8,000 has been pledged. I think if a lot of people from TEXBIRDS
went to his blog and made pledge $10,000 is possible. With all versions of
TEXBIRDS reaching more than 8,000 people, I think we should shoot for
pledging $15,000 total for the nature park. If each person that this
potentially reaches pledged just a penny a bird that would be $23,120. If
each pledged a dime a bird that would be $230,000!

Why does this matter? because it would tell the city fathers who run the
nature park there are people who really care about these things in Texas
and show we believe they can have something special in Abilene.

Go to https://bigyear.reporternews.com/ to read about the big year and to
make a pledge.

I've had the great fun of birding with Jay two days this year and I'm
planning to be there for the finally on December 31. Please take a few
minutes to check out Jay's blog and consider a donation.

--
David Sarkozi
Houston, TX

Join us on Facebook!