Date: 12/19/19 7:12 pm
From: Ted Floyd <tedfloyd57...>
Subject: [cobirds] CBC flickers
Hey, all. I've been enjoying the CBC write-ups. Please keep 'em coming.

Say, just a gentle exhortation here about flickers. Hybrids (or
"intergrades") are legion, and pure Red-shafted and Yellow-shafted flickers
are difficult to document in the field along and near the I-25 corridor
where so many CBCs are centered. First-generation ("F1") adult male hybrids
are relatively easily to recognize as such, but others--females,
hatch-years, and those pesky backcrosses--are considerably more difficult.
I am increasingly persuaded that perhaps we can't say "Yellow-shafted" and
"Red-shafted" for a great many of the birds we see in the field.

On the Wed., Dec. 18, Fountain Creek CBC, the two flickers I saw reasonably
well were hybrids. One was obvious. This guy:

[image: hybrid flicker 1106 small.png]

Another, perhaps an F2, was less obvious:

[image: hybrid flicker 0905 small.png]

Both of these are adult males. Would I have recognized them as hybrids if
they were females, or hatch-years, or hatch-year females? Or hatch-year
female backcrosses?? I'm not at all confident of that proposition.

Bottom line: I think we should use "Yellow-shafted" and "Red-shafted"
pretty sparingly, at least east of the mountains.

Merry Christmas to all of you!

Ted Floyd
Lafayette, Boulder County