Date: 12/3/19 6:13 am
From: 'Jim Nelson' via Maryland & DC Birding <mdbirding...>
Subject: [MDBirding] Seneca Christmas Bird Count, Sunday, Dec. 15-- we still need counters and feeder watchers
The annual Seneca Christmas Bird Count (CBC) will be held Sunday, December 15.  The count circle has a radius of 7.5 miles, centered on Violette’s Lock on the C&O Canal on the Maryland side of the Potomac River, and covers a good portion Montgomery County (and areas of Fairfax and Loudoun counties in northern Virginia across the Potomac).  Our count circle is divided into 16 sectors each with a Sector Leader.
I am the compiler for the Seneca CBC.  The Seneca CBC has been conducted almost every year since 1955. This will be the 61st recorded count. Last year, our 133 counters in the field and 17 feeder watchers racked up 90 species and 21,148 individual birds, notwithstanding rain and high water conditions from heavy rains the previous day. We could not have done this without the many volunteers who helped us, both old timers and new participants, counting in the field and in their yards.  We always need new people to help with the count.
The Montgomery County portion of our count circle (described below) contains lots of interesting habitat and is very important to the success of our count.  We need additional folks, regardless of your birding skill level, to help count birds in the field. Doing a CBC can be a lot of fun, a great learning experience, and a chance to meet other birders. Those of you who use eBird will find the CBC to be a natural fit.  If you are interested in counting in the field, please contact me.  Let me know where you are located and your level of birding experience, so I can place you in an appropriate sector.  We love having newer birders join us, and we will make sure you are teamed with a more experienced person for the count.
There is also an important role for folks who can’t get out in the field on December 15 but live inside the count circle and like to watch birds in their yards and at their feeders.  You can contribute very useful information to the CBC too.
In Montgomery County, on the east side, the border of the count circle extends from the C&O Canal downstream of Great Falls, swinging up through Potomac north through the western parts of Rockville and Gaithersburg, and then arcing through the southern part of Germantown, passing just south of Boyds, taking in most of Poolesville, and then swinging south back to the Potomac a bit south and east of Edwards Ferry.  If you live inside this area and you are interested in reporting the birds you observe in your yard and at your feeders on December 15, please let me know.  I can confirm whether you fall inside the count circle and make arrangements for you to send in your yard/feeder count.
I will be happy to answer any questions you have about the CBC.
I look forward to your participation.
Jim <Nelsonkingfishers2...>