Date: 12/2/19 9:33 pm
From: tom crabtree <tc...>
Subject: [obol] Re: My dark Roughy has morphed
Chuck,

Harlan's is one of the toughest raptors to identify. It varies so much in
plumage -- both light and dark morphs. At least we don't have to deal with
Krider's in the Northwest. After misidentifying several and having the
good fortune to have Brian Sullivan as a sounding board I've gotten better
at sorting them out, Don't be too hard on yourself, they're ever bit as
easy as silent empids in migration.

Tom Crabtree

On Mon, Dec 2, 2019 at 9:05 PM <cgates326...> wrote:

> I was afraid this would happen. Tom Crabtree suspected the dark
> Rough-legged Hawk posted earlier today (by me) was actually a dark phase
> Harlan’s Red-tailed Hawk. Tom sent my photos to Brian Sullivan (Crossley
> Raptor ID Guide) and Brian identified it as a Harlan’s. Tom’s thoughts
> were, “To me the tail doesn't look right for Roughie and the white flecking
> on the breast also seems to point to Harlan's.“ Poor pitch by Gates but a
> good catch by Crabtree. I added more photos to the eBird report at
> https://ebird.org/checklist/S61934344.
>

> To me, Harlan’s Hawk is the most befuddling of all North American Buteos.
> I’ve misidentified two of them in the last couple of weeks. You’d think I
> would learn by now.
>

> Chuck Gates
> Prineville Bird Club
> Crooked River Wetlands Volunteer
> 541-280-4957
> Powell Butte,
> Central Oregon Oregon Birding Site Guide
> http://www.ecaudubon.org/birding-locations
> Oregon County Checklists
> http://www.ecaudubon.org/county-checklists

Join us on Facebook!