Date: 12/2/19 5:07 pm
From: Nicholas Mrvelj <nickmrvelj...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Apparent Black-tailed Gull in Oregon
Birders,

I’d like to amend my last post and say that a 3rd cycle WESTERN GULL can
look very similar to the pictures of the bird I just shared. In my
excitement I overlooked this fact. And there’s Occam’s Razor and what not.
I’m curious to hear what those with experience with BTGU have to say about
this bird.

Best,
-Nick Mrvelj

On Mon, Dec 2, 2019 at 4:41 PM Nicholas Mrvelj <nickmrvelj...> wrote:

> Birders,
>
> This series of photos was just posted to the Northern American Gulls group
> on Facebook. It shows what I feel is an adult (or mostly adult)
> BLACK-TAILED GULL. I tried to turn it into a third cycle California Gull
> but was unsuccessful.
>
> I’m working on getting more information from the observer, but apparently
> this bird was seen on November 2nd in Oregon waters.
>
> First the purported GBBG and now this?! We should be expecting a Pallas’s
> or Kelp Gull any day now at this rate. ;-)
>
> Good birding,
> -Nick Mrvelj (Portland)

Join us on Facebook!