255 Grapevine Rd.
Department of Biology
Wenham, MA 01984
From: <massbird-approval...> [mailto:<massbird-approval...>] On Behalf Of Ray Brown
Sent: Monday, December 2, 2019 7:38 PM
To: MFB <badgerm...>
Cc: Cynthia Berkowitz <cynthberk...>; Stuart Walker <stuarttwalker...>; <Massbird...>
Subject: Re: [MASSBIRD] Bird-friendly coffee?
** CAUTION: External Email: Do not click links or open attachments unless you recognize sender and know content is safe.**
Yes, MFB is correct. Shade-grown coffee is not just organic -- it's grown under the natural forest canopy that provides important shelter for birds (and other creatures, as well). This is not necessarily the case with all organically grown coffee.
On Mon, Dec 2, 2019 at 7:30 PM MFB <badgerm...><mailto:<badgerm...>> wrote:
Alas, no. Organic coffee is not the same as shade-grown bird-friendly coffee.
On Dec 2, 2019, at 6:59 PM, Cynthia Berkowitz <cynthberk...><mailto:<cynthberk...>> wrote:
As one who has been involved in selling organic, fair trade coffee, my understanding is that organic coffee and organic chocolate are shade grown by definition.
On Mon, Dec 2, 2019, 3:34 PM Stuart Walker <stuarttwalker...><mailto:<stuarttwalker...>> wrote:
With the permission of the moderator, I would like to know if people can recommend good (decaf, preferably) bird-friendly coffee that I could find at relatively normal stores, like Whole Foods or Wegman’s, or even more mainstream outlets.
I find that many of the brands I look at say “organic”, but few seem to say “shade grown”, which I associate with bird-friendly environments, or Arabica. None specifically say “bird-friendly”.
I would prefer not to order coffee by mail, but I will if necessary. Thanks for any suggestions!
Ray Brown's Talkin' Birds is a radio show and podcast about birds, bird watching and conservation.
Download shows anytime at talkinbirds.com<http://talkinbirds.com/> or on your favorite podcast app. Listen live online (Sunday mornings 9:30-10 Eastern) at http://v6.player.abacast.net/2231<http://959watd.com/> Follow us on Facebook and Instagram! Or check your local radio station's listings for the day and time we air:
- Boston, MA: 100.3FM/950AM WROL or 1510AM WMEX
- Worcester, MA: 91.3FM WCUW
- Western Massachusetts: 1 94.1 FM/860 AM WSBS or 1400AM/1240AM/96.9FM WHMP
- Lowell, MA: 980AM WCAP
- North Shore of Massachusetts: 106.1FM/1450 AM WNBP
- South Shore of Massachusetts: 95.9FM WATD
- Cape Cod, MA: 92.1FM/91.3FM WOMR/WFMR
- Southeast Massachusetts: 1530AM WVBF
- Sheffield, MA: WBSL 91.7FM
- Southern Rhode Island: 95.9FM WCRI
- Newport, Rhode Island: 1540AM WADK
- South Eastern Connecticut: 95.9 WCRI
- Sharon, CT: Robin Hood Radio: WHDD 91.9FM/1020AM
- Central New Hampshire: 90.9FM WSCS
- Southern Vermont: 1370AM WBTN
- Central Vermont: 1320AM WCVR
- Annandale-on-Hudson, NY: WLHV 88.1FM
- Kingston, NY: WGHQ 920AM
- Denton, MD: 840AM WKDI