Date: 12/2/19 4:42 pm From: Ray Brown <ray...> Subject: Re: [MASSBIRD] Bird-friendly coffee?
Yes, MFB is correct. Shade-grown coffee is not just organic -- it's grown
under the natural forest canopy that provides important shelter for birds
(and other creatures, as well). This is not necessarily the case with all
organically grown coffee.
On Mon, Dec 2, 2019 at 7:30 PM MFB <badgerm...> wrote:
> Alas, no. Organic coffee is not the same as shade-grown bird-friendly
> https://www.audubon.org/news/how-choose-bird-friendly-coffee >
> Sent from my iPhone
> On Dec 2, 2019, at 6:59 PM, Cynthia Berkowitz <cynthberk...> wrote:
> As one who has been involved in selling organic, fair trade coffee, my
> understanding is that organic coffee and organic chocolate are shade grown
> by definition.
> Cynthia Berkowitz
> On Mon, Dec 2, 2019, 3:34 PM Stuart Walker <stuarttwalker...>
>> With the permission of the moderator, I would like to know if people can
>> recommend good (decaf, preferably) bird-friendly coffee that I could find
>> at relatively normal stores, like Whole Foods or Wegman’s, or even more
>> mainstream outlets.
>> I find that many of the brands I look at say “organic”, but few seem to
>> say “shade grown”, which I associate with bird-friendly environments, or
>> Arabica. None specifically say “bird-friendly”.
>> I would prefer not to order coffee by mail, but I will if necessary.
>> Thanks for any suggestions!
>> Stuart Walker
>> Jamaica Plain
Ray Brown's *Talkin' Birds* is a radio show and podcast about birds, bird
watching and conservation.
Download shows anytime at talkinbirds.com or on your favorite podcast
live online (Sunday mornings 9:30-10 Eastern) at
http://v6.player.abacast.net/2231 <http://959watd.com/> Follow us on
Facebook and Instagram! Or check your local radio station's listings for
the day and time we air:
- Boston, MA: 100.3FM/950AM WROL or 1510AM WMEX
- Worcester, MA: 91.3FM WCUW
- Western Massachusetts: 1 94.1 FM/860 AM WSBS or 1400AM/1240AM/96.9FM WHMP
- Lowell, MA: 980AM WCAP
- North Shore of Massachusetts: 106.1FM/1450 AM WNBP
- South Shore of Massachusetts: 95.9FM WATD
- Cape Cod, MA: 92.1FM/91.3FM WOMR/WFMR
- Southeast Massachusetts: 1530AM WVBF
- Sheffield, MA: WBSL 91.7FM
- Southern Rhode Island: 95.9FM WCRI
- Newport, Rhode Island: 1540AM WADK
- South Eastern Connecticut: 95.9 WCRI
- Sharon, CT: Robin Hood Radio: WHDD 91.9FM/1020AM
- Central New Hampshire: 90.9FM WSCS
- Southern Vermont: 1370AM WBTN
- Central Vermont: 1320AM WCVR
- Annandale-on-Hudson, NY: WLHV 88.1FM
- Kingston, NY: WGHQ 920AM
- Denton, MD: 840AM WKDI